Saturday, April 18, 2009

Letters Home From Boot Camp: ‘Ooh man this sucks’

“22Aug99

Dear Mom,

Ooh man this sucks. I just got dropped.

This cold or whatever is really knocking me out. I have no voice, stuffy nose, dizziness, disorientation. All bad. That’s how I got in trouble; I wasn’t all here.

Would you mind mailing me my study Bible? It’s in my desk cubbyhole. I wanted to bring it with me but it wouldn’t fit in my bag.

They gave me a rifle. The drill sergeant handed that thing and I just kinda looked at it. Then we brought them to the bay and took it apart part way. After that, it’s not so scary.

Tiffany

P.S. Could you mail me some stamps? I’m all out and out of money.”



It was impossible to imagine Tiffany with a rifle in hands. Even more impossible to imagine her firing one. She didn’t like loud noises, never had. Even as an infant while asleep, a light switch flipped on would make her jump.

I wondered: “What has Tiffany gotten herself into?”

No comments: