Saturday, April 18, 2009

Letters Home From Boot Camp: ‘I’m in basic training. AAAAAAAAAAH!’

“19Aug99

Dear Mom,

I’m in basic training. AAAAAAAAAAH!

I have a new address and need my checkbook sent ASAP. I don’t have any bills or anything right now but may need it.

I really can’t think of anything to say, I’m a bit flustered and kind of out of it right now. I’ve lost voice so I can’t sound off and it’s driving me nuts.

I’ve barely been here 24 hours. I’ve been put in the Bushmasters, the toughest platoon at C 2/13.

Bushmaster: Big nasty snake.

This is going to be stressful but I signed up and I have no choice.

We’ve only been given a few minutes to write. I have to go.

With Love,
Tiffany”


Big Nasty Snake? Oh my goodness. What’s happening to the little girl who played with Barbie dolls until she was in high school?

Though her grades should have been better, she never failed a class. Even so, I worried. Tiffany was immature and her social skills never quite blossomed. She didn’t have many friends and was picked on by kids at school.

That was one of the reasons I thought joining the military was a good idea. I knew the result could be self-confident adult.

Now I’m having doubts.

No comments: