Saturday, April 18, 2009

Letters Home From Boot Camp: ‘Dear Mom, I shot a rifle today’

“14Sep99

Dear Mom,

I shot a rifle today. At first it scared the crap out of me but then I relaxed.

The big hurricane is supposed hit here Thursday, but the barracks are all steel.

Your letter arrived today. Everyone thinks the card is just like ha.

Yesterday we were shooting a simulation rifle. I got all nervous and started crying. The people around me told the drill sergeant and I got talked to but it’s a good thing because nervous people are dangerous with a rifle.

The sky is so beautiful here, it turns so many colors and there are so many different types of clouds. Could take pictures but cameras are contraband.

I have a formation now and want to get this letter before the hurricane hits.

Tiffany”


Reading that my daughter is shooting rifles and getting ready for a hurricane was too much. I went shopping and bought enough underwear for her to have a clean pair of panties EVERY DAY until boot camp was finished, tampons, baby wipes, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, phone cards, an inspirational book and other items that wouldn’t be confiscated by those nasty drill sergeants.

Sending stuff was the only way I could reach out to my daughter and help her get through boot camp.

No comments: